A New School-wide part-time faculty strike was declared on Nov 16th. We support our colleagues and will resume class as soon as the strike ends. I will continue to update this website weekly.
As part of your presentation for November 17th, you created 3 sample records with captions. Think about ways to build on these and create an archive of 100 records.
Start writing the introduction to your archive. You can use the slides you prepared for class on Nov 17th as a jumping off point. In addition, use the questions in the right column as a guideline. You don’t have to answer all of them. You might have to address different matters based on your research inquiry and process.
Also, feel free to play with the sequence/ order of these questions. Start by writing down the answers and arranging them in a way that makes sense to you. In many cases, it will might be helpful to start the introduction with a perspective on the larger topic and/ or personal motivation.
→ 1 | Defining the Archive and its purpose
- What does this Archive contain (objectively)?
- What is this Archive and what does it do specifically—purpose?
- How is this Archive organized? Why?
- What kind of visual outcomes are presented in your Archive?
→ 2 | Context / History
- Were similar archives created in the past? How do you connect to them?
→ 3 | Audience
- Who are the intended users of this Archive?
- Who is the Archive for and why?
- What are potential problems or conflicts the user may face while using this Archive?
→ 4 | Methodologies/ Techniques of the Archive
- How did you create the recordings included in this archive?
- What has been the process of collecting / creating representations—was it individual or collectively?
- Why is it important that you’ve used the method of your choice?(This can include technical specs, innovations)
- How are the records are organized (chronological, intention of placing images etc)?
- What is the text/image relationship?
→ 5 | Circulation & Dissemination
- Why is the Archive presented in the media you chose?
- How is this Archive new and different from others that have come before it?
→ 6 | : MISC
- What are your intentions for future and further inquiry?
- Are there any other collaborators you would wish to acknowledge in the creation of the Archive?